It’s hard sometimes to figure out which hotels are the ones worth your money and time. Thankfully, Travel + Leisure asked their readers what the 100 best hotels in the world are via their annual World’s Best Awards survey.
Now you shouldn’t treat this list as gospel, there are certain biases to consider. This isn’t a panel of judges making this list, but the unwashed masses (I kid). Many readers of Travel + Leisure seem to be from the U.S. so many hotels are those from locations popular with American tourists, including Europe, South Africa, and Asia. You won’t find Australia and Japan has only one entry. So keep that in mind.
Most of the choices are large, grand luxury hotels that wow you as soon as you walk in the door and have a bunch of amenities, services, and more importantly, good places to visit!
That’s not to say that this list isn’t useful or trustworthy, far from it, if anything it’s more trustworthy as crowd-sourced surveys aren’t typically trying to sell you something or, in this case, a specific hotel.
Each hotel has received a score out of 100, tabulated by Travel + Leisure (assumedly), with the benchmarks being location, service, food, facilities, and the overall value of the place.
The country with the most entries this year is the United States with 19 entries with the highest placement being the Pickering House Inn in New Hampshire (no. 4) and The Lowell in New York City (no. 8). India had the most entries last year with 12 entries, but this year have slipped to 11 which means they have tied with Italy.
Speaking of Italy, the country has the coveted top spot with the Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco in Montalcino (99.25). It’s a lovely building full of the old-world European aesthetic and it’s taken the top spot due to it’s “multisensory experience.” That experience includes an on-site winery and cooking school (it’s Italy so, of course), tennis courts, country-style spa, a whole new complex with 19 new suites, and most importantly a view of the UNESCO-listed Val d’Orcia Natural Park.
Note: there are over 100 entries due to several ties in the list.
The list is as follows:
- Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco, Montalcino, Italy
- Grace Hotel, Auberge Resorts Collection, Santorini, Greece
- Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi, South Malé Atoll, Maldives
- Pickering House Inn, Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
- One&Only Reethi Rah, North Malé Atoll, Maldives
- Royal Mansour Marrakech, Morocco
- Capella Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
- The Lowell, New York City
- Hôtel Madame Rêve, Paris
- Rosewood Villa Magna, Madrid
- The Oberoi, New Delhi
- The Oberoi Udaivilas, Udaipur, India
- Mandapa, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, Bali, Indonesia
- Wilderness Safaris Bisate Lodge, Volcanoes National Park, Rwanda
- Portrait Firenze, Florence
- Raffles Istanbul
- The Oberoi, Marrakech, Morocco
- Capella Hanoi, Vietnam
- White Elephant Palm Beach, Florida
- The Loutrel, Charleston, South Carolina
- Monasterio, A Belmond Hotel, Cuzco, Peru
- Sani Asterias, Halkidiki, Greece
- Shangri-La the Shard, London
- Coquillade Provence Resort & Spa, Gargas, France
- Taj Palace, New Delhi
- Pendry Chicago
- Nayara Tented Camp, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
- Hotel Belmar, Monteverde, Costa Rica
- Royal Champagne Hôtel & Spa, Champillon, France
- Under Canvas Mount Rushmore, Keystone, South Dakota
- Riggs Washington D.C.
- Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- The Oberoi Vanyavilas Wildlife Resort, Ranthambhore, India
- Canaves Oia Epitome, Santorini, Greece
- The Standard, Hua Hin, Thailand
- The Oberoi Amarvilas, Agra, India
- Hotel Santa Caterina, Amalfi, Italy
- Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor, Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Nihi Sumba, Sumba, Indonesia
- La Réserve Paris – Hôtel & Spa
- Hotel de la Ville, a Rocco Forte Hotel, Rome
- Il San Pietro di Positano, Italy
- Six Senses Yao Noi, Koh Yao Noi, Thailand
- Finca Cortesín Hotel, Golf & Spa, Málaga, Spain
- Secret Bay, Portsmouth, Dominica
- Cape Grace, Cape Town
- Taj Lake Palace, Udaipur, India
- Taj Falaknuma Palace, Hyderabad, India
- Alila Villas Uluwatu, Bali, Indonesia
- Manoir Hovey, North Hatley, Quebec
- Six Senses Con Dao, Con Dao, Vietnam
- Cavas Wine Lodge, Mendoza, Argentina
- Grand Hotel Tremezzo, Lake Como, Italy
- Nayara Springs, Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
- Lodge on Little St. Simons Island, Georgia
- Rancho Santana, Rivas, Nicaragua
- Amanpuri, Phuket, Thailand
- Mandarin Oriental, Marrakech, Morocco
- Namale Resort & Spa, Savusavu, Fiji
- Gibb’s Farm, Karatu, Tanzania
- Jade Mountain, Soufrière, St. Lucia
- Borgo Egnazia, Savelletri di Fasano, Italy
- Four Seasons Hotel Kyoto, Japan
- San Ysidro Ranch, Santa Barbara, California
- The Goring, London
- The Oberoi Rajvilas, Jaipur, India
- Palm Island Resort, St. Vincent and the Grenadines
- Hotel Savoy, a Rocco Forte Hotel, Florence
- Rambagh Palace, Jaipur, India
- Curtain Bluff, St. John’s, Antigua
- Morrison House Old Town Alexandria, Autograph Collection, Alexandria, Virginia
- The Lytle Park Hotel, Autograph Collection, Cincinnati
- Twin Farms, Barnard, Vermont
- Deer Path Inn, Lake Forest, Illinois
- One&Only Nyungwe House, Nyungwe Forest National Park, Rwanda
- W Santiago, Chile
- Shangri-La Singapore
- L’Ermitage Beverly Hills, California
- Silo Hotel, Cape Town
- Katikies Santorini, Greece
- Nobu Hotel Miami Beach
- The Shore Club, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
- Taj Holiday Village Resort & Spa, Goa, India
- Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
- Auberge Saint-Antoine, Quebec City
- Rosewood Miramar Beach, Montecito, California
- Rio Celeste Hideaway Hotel, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
- Hotel Caesar Augustus, Capri, Italy
- Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni, Bellagio, Italy
- Le Bristol Paris, Oetker Collection
- Shangri-La Bosphorus, Istanbul
- The Palms Turks & Caicos, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
- The Lodge at Blue Sky, Auberge Resorts Collection, Park City, Utah
- Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, Little Torch Key, Florida
- Le Sirenuse, Positano, Italy
- andBeyond Ngorongoro Crater Lodge, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Tanzania
- Casa San Agustín, Cartagena, Colombia
- The Connaught, London
- Wentworth Mansion, Charleston, South Carolina
- Taj Lands End, Mumbai
- Birkenhead House, Hermanus, South Africa
3 Things to Think About When Buying an Electric or Hybrid Car
Before you buy an electric car, it’s important to check that it’s something that would work for you, or if a hybrid might work out better.
The Bulgari Octo Roma A Less Edgy Finissimo?
The Bulgari Octo Roma has been updated and tweaked, and while it isn’t as edgy as the Finissimo, they are more vasual and versatile.
Cracks Appearing at Red Bull or Just Wishful Thinking?
Are there genuine cracks starting to appear at Red Bull or is this simple wishful thinking for the haters?
The W Hotel Sydney Finally Gives us a First Look and Opening Date
After missing its 2020 release date, the W Hotel Sydney is finally opening in 2023.
THEORY: Charles Leclerc and Lewis Hamilton are not Switching Teams
The rumours have suggested that Charles Leclerc and Lewis Hamilton which switch to each other’s respective teams, but that seems like a load of bull.
The Longines Spirit Flyback Ensures Its Wearer is Soaring
Longines have given their nod to their heritage with a reinterpreted flyback chronograph with their new Spirit Flyback.